Monday, February 28, 2011
Gai Tod Gra Tiem Prik Tai (Thai Garlic Pepper Chicken)
Ingredients (3 servings):
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1/2 lb of chicken breast (sliced bite-size)
3 servings of rice
6 cloves of average size garlic
1 teaspoon of black pepper (crushed into powder)
3 spring onions, ends trimmed, white and some green parts sliced into thin coins
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
* decorations: sliced fresh tomatoes/cucumber
1. Marinate the chicken with vegetable oil, soy sauce and 2 gloves of garlic (crushed) for 15 minutes. During this time, follow step 2 & 3.
2. Heat large frying pan, pour in small amount of vegetable oil. Chop the rest 4 gloves of garlic and fry in the heated pan. Stir until it turns golden, put in a separate plate.
3. Prepare the rice.
4. Fry the marinated chicken. Once the chicken turns brown, add the sliced spring onion and cooked for a little while until it's cooked.
5. Sprinkle fried garlic (from step 2) on chicken, and serve with rice. Enjoy!
A word from Our Chef: The reason why I choose this dish to share with my host family is because it is one of my family's favorite dishes back home. It is easy to prepare (which suits my cooking skill!) and thought to be delicious by most people. Garlic and pepper are easy-to-find ingredients. My host family and I had a wonderful time cooking together.
It is always excited to try new recipes. It is a little more excited for us because I started this dish from scratch! We guarantee, that it is tasty, and that you will be surprised how well garlic and pepper goes together!
Hannah, my exchange sister from Germany took these pictures. We worked together to measure the ingredients to make sure the taste will turn out right. It is so much fun doing it together with your family. The three of us like this meal and we want to share it with you!
Chotiga from Thailand